Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Update from the Maritimes!

We arrived to Summerside safe and sound Sunday afternoon, and its been great catching up with family...

We've only seen three foxes the last 3 days, which believe it or not, is less than average for me when I'm out here.  The low numbers are kind of to be expected since many of the females may not have given birth to their kits yet.... and if they have, they'll be really, really young.

As far as birding goes, there are a few birds that I found exciting...On the drive out, there were thousands of Snow Geese along the St. Lawrence River close to Quebec City, and as we entered New Brunswick, I spotted a wild turkey, which are not common in New Brunswick.

 Black Scoters are my first and only Lifer so far this trip, but they were pretty far out, and mixed with a group of Surf Scoters...  There are TONS of Iceland Gulls around the Summerside Harbour, and thousands of Canada Geese in the fields outside of town.


Life Bird - Black Scoters - Far out.

Iceland Gull

Iceland Gull

Iceland Gull


Oh, and I forgot to mention... the Maritimes have GREAT sunsets!!



Here is what I'll be up to the next week or so....

April
Fri 26th - Dropped off in Halifax
Monday 29th - Job Starts - Shopping and Packing

May
1st - Arrive to Island (Weather permitting)

No comments:

Post a Comment