Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Owls are a Hoot! Barred Owl [Part II]

To see my last blog on the Barred Owl, check out Owls are a Hoot! Barred Owl [Part I]!

Owls are pretty awesome creatures to watch, and are quite approachable which often makes for great photography!  However, when I do find owls, I try to make sure that I don't harass the bird too much.  Sometimes with human presence, chickadees or crows will find the Owl and mob it as they see it as a threat, which causes stress to the Owl. So when I see an owl, I try to make sure that I don't watch them for too long, or chase them too much if they fly away, just to limit at possible stress that can be put on the bird.

That said, one day when I saw the famous Arboretum Barred Owl, I was lucky to see it hunt a meadow vole, and gobble it down!  He was no more than 30 yards from me, and the whole process probably took around 30 seconds!



This is when I first saw him

Little did I know, he was getting ready to get himself a meal!




He's got his meal now, watch how he eats it!!











BURP!  Happy Owl!!

No comments:

Post a Comment