Sunday, March 24, 2013

Gulls... Gulls... Gulls....

I lot of people dislike Seagulls, and I used to be one of them!  However, the past couple of years, they've really grown on me, and now I view them as really pretty birds!

Gulls can be quite difficult to identify, as a lot of them look quite similar.  If you don't know what you're looking for, it would be quite easy to mistakenly think a lot of gulls as the same species.  However, with closer looks, you can see that there are some physiological and size differences among different species. By no means am I an expert, and there are lots of gull photos that I can't identify... but I'm pretty confident with these identifications! :)  Iceland Gulls and Glaucous gulls are really interesting to me, because they breed in the Arctic!!!

Today I'll just share some of my shots of that I took earlier this winter at Kempenfelt Bay, Barrie, Ontario.

First Winter Iceland Gull.



First Winter Ring-Billed Gull.

This is a First Winter Iceland gull (Left)watching a First Winter Glaucous gull (right) about to dive.


First Winter Glaucous Gull


First Winter Glaucous Gull


First Winter Glaucous Gull


First Winter Iceland Gull

First Winter Glaucous Gull

Adult Glaucous Gull in back, surrounded by Herring Gulls.


First Winter Glaucous Gull Front, Possible 2nd Winter Iceland Gull Back (Right).


Adult Glaucous Gull


Adult Herring Gull (3rd winter?)


Adult Glaucous Gull

No comments:

Post a Comment