Thursday, March 14, 2013

Gonna give this Blogging thing a try...

Hey!

If you're reading this, you probably know me, or are just interested in my wildlife photography or wildlife experiences.... About three years ago, I started to get into Wildlife Photography with a simple 12x zoom point and shoot camera! My interest has been rapidly growing ever since, and I now shoot a Canon T2i with a 250 mm lens.

I'm creating this blog primarily to update friends and family on my adventures this summer on Country Island... But who knows!! This may turn into a fun little hobby that I continue to take part in for a few years!! Here are some photos from Country Island when I worked there two years ago, and when I just started to get into bird photography!


Awwwwww, Look!   A bird is hatching! This is an Arctic Tern chick, and I only know that because of the yellow marker you can see in the top left!! Arctic and Common Tern chicks look identical when they hatch, We know that this is a Arctic Tern nest because we would have previously observed this chick's parents at the nest in days prior.  
This is a Common Tern (COTE).  One of the three tern species that nest by Country Island.  The are by far the most aggressive Tern speices on the island, and will often hit you in the back of the head with their beaks!
. This is an Arctic Tern (ARTE), and is one of the three tern species that nests on Country Island, NS. ARTEs are famous for their crazy long migration from the Antarctic to the Arctic.  This journey is 19 000 km EACH WAY, and cool fact of the day is that this bird sees more daylight in a year than any other creature on the planet!
This is a Willet!  They can be one annoying bird, but still cool none the less... There are a few of these guys on the Island! 
This will be my home for three weeks. The tent on the left is the sleeping tent, and the one on the right is the kitchen tent. For those that don't know, there is no running water or electricity on the island, as we are five km from mainland. We bring our own clean water for drinking and dishes, we collect rain water for showers, and we have a solar panel to charge our electronics


I got tons more photos to share, but I can't give away all the interesting pictures in my first blog! I'll be sure to update later!

Brennan








3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should change the direction of your blog. I think you should do Country cookin' with Chef Brennano featuring Arctic tern scrambled eggs and Stuffed Common Tern with a side of Poached Willet Legs.

    ReplyDelete