Thursday, March 21, 2013

Crazy Cape Breton Moose!

Last Summer in June, I was fortunate to help conduct some mountain bird and breeding bird surveys in Cape Breton Highlands National Park! This was my first trip to Cape Breton, and it definitely won't be my last!  I've always heard that Cape Breton has a lot of moose, but experiencing it first hand was something else!  Interestingly, Nova Scotia has two different sub-species of Moose.  The mainland moose (Alces alces americana) which is indigenous, and the Cape Breton Moose (Alces alces andersonii) which was introduced from Alberta.  The mainland moose is endangered, while there is concern that there is too many moose in Cape Breton! Interestingly, Ontario naturally has both of these subspecies too!  Alces alces andersonii is found in the NW, and Alces alces americana is found in the NE!  

Anyways, here are a few of the shots I took of my encounters of the Alces alces andersonii in Cape Breton!

 Bull in velvet, and just starting to develop his antlers




Cow grazing on the side of a road...



Young Bull - Most likely just over a year old



Cow and a Calf (And a Moose crossing sign just above the Cow's Back)



This shot always gets me. There are three moose, and a moose crossing sign.... Do you see them all?  

No comments:

Post a Comment